I cannot tell you how smooth and effortless it is to upgrade a SonicWall device.
1. Export the settings from the older unit
2. Browse to the default address of the new unit
3. Import the settings you just exported from the older unit - it reboots
4. Check to make sure everything is right
5. Register & apply the license(s)
6. Update the firmware - reboot again
This particular unit was a Layer-3 SSL VPN appliance. When the end-user goes to connect with their VPN client to the new unit, it automatically updates to the latest version without the user having to do anything. When Dell owned SonicWall back in the day, the process of upgrading firmware and then trying to figure out which version of their NetExtender client would work could be at times pretty painful; especially when Windows 10 first came out. The whole digital driver signing debacle was really rough. It's great to see SonicWall finally getting this process right without the end-user trying to figure out what client versions work and what doesn't.
The whole upgrade process was done in 30 minutes. Client is happy. I'm happy. Makes for a great day!
Have a great weekend everyone!
TechTools IT Consultants - Located in Little Rock, AR.